The CRDHA maintains the following registers:
- General Register
- Courtesy Register
- Non-Practicing Register
- Student Member Register
Only the General Register and Courtesy Register are regulated under the HPA. Only persons on those registers are permitted to use the protected titles: Registered Dental Hygienist, Dental Hygienist, RDH or DH.
Regulated Member Registers
- Mandatory for dental hygienists engaged in the practice of dental hygiene in Alberta, including persons volunteering in their profession in Alberta
- Registrants are issued a Practice Permit which expires October 31 each year
- Registrants are eligible to vote, serve on CRDHA Council or regulatory committees, receive newsletters and all other correspondence, and are eligible for special member rates at conferences
- Mandatory for dental hygienists from outside of Alberta who will be participating in a clinical course or will be teaching, supervising, or providing any professional services in Alberta
- Courtesy registration is granted only for the time necessary to complete the purpose for which courtesy registration is requested
- Courtesy registration is for up to 60 days and is not renewable
Non-Regulated Member Registers
Members on the following registers are not regulated by the HPA and as such, are not eligible to use the protected titles.
At the time of membership renewal, this category of membership may be selected by persons who were previously registered on the CRDHA General Register but who will not be engaged in the practice of dental hygiene at any time during the upcoming membership year. Non-Practicing registrants:
- Do not hold a Practice Permit and are not authorized to practice dental hygiene in Alberta
- Are not authorized to use the protected titles, unless registered in another jurisdiction
- Are eligible to vote at general meetings of the CRDHA, receive newsletters and other correspondence, and are eligible for special member rates at conferences
- May apply for reinstatement back to the General Register and specific requirements must be met for reinstatement
Student Member Register
Only students of the Dental Hygiene Program at the University of Alberta are eligible for this register. Students are not eligible to hold a Practice Permit.