Annual Renewal is now open. If you are a registrant, visit the Registrant Portal to renew.

Registering in Alberta

The CRDHA, as authorized by the Health Professions Act, is responsible for setting the standards of practice, including entry-to-practice requirements, in order to ensure the safe, ethical and competent practice of dental hygienists in Alberta.

Typically, an individual will complete the application for registration process once. Successful applicants will be placed on CRDHA's General Register and receive a Practice Permit (licence) allowing them to practice the dental hygiene profession until October 31. Prior to October 31, each registrant must complete the renewal process in order to maintain their Practice Permit until the following October 31, and renew annually thereafter.

At minimum, all applicants are required to:

  1. Complete a criminal record check
  2. Provide evidence of good character
  3. Successfully complete the written examination delivered by the National Dental Hygiene Certification Board (NDHCB)
  4. Successfully complete the CRDHA jurisprudence examination
  5. Provide evidence of current CPR certification at the level determined by CRDHA Council
  6. Be sufficiently proficient in the English language
  7. Remit all required application and registration fees

The CRDHA requires all persons on the General register to have professional liability insurance that meets the minimum standard as set out by Council.

Professional Liability Insurance must meet the following minimum requirements:
  1. All registrants on the general register and those on the courtesy register must maintain professional liability insurance with a minimum of $1,000,000 coverage for each occurrence/claim and an annual aggregate coverage of no less than $5,000,000.
  2. In addition to a minimum $1,000,000 liability coverage, registrants on the general register and those on the courtesy register must ensure there is an extended reporting period (ERP) provision for a minimum period of two (2) years.
  3. Registrants are required to hold individual professional liability insurance. Employer coverage is not acceptable. 
  4. Liability coverage must cover the annual permit year of November 1, 2021 to October 31, 2022.

CRDHA Privacy Policy