The College of Registered Dental Hygienists of Alberta (CRDHA) is the professional regulatory body for Alberta's over 3300 Registered Dental Hygienists. Created under the Health Professions Act (HPA), our mandate is to ensure Alberta dental hygienists have the knowledge, skills, attitude and judgment to provide safe, effective, ethical, and competent oral healthcare to Albertans.
A regulatory college’s job is to protect the public from unsafe practice and hold members of the profession accountable for the care they provide. Colleges ensure that Albertans are provided with safe, high quality care by professionals who adhere to the highest standards and ethical conduct.
The Health Professions Act places significant responsibilities on each health professional college to:
- Carry out its activities and govern its regulated members in a manner that protects and serves the public interest
- Provide direction to and regulate the practice of the regulated profession by its regulated members
- Establish, maintain and enforce entry level and continuing competence (knowledge, skills, attitudes and judgment required to provide health professional services) and standards of practice
- Establish, maintain and enforce a code of ethics
- Approve programs of study and education courses for the purpose of registration
- Perform other duties and functions by the exercise of the powers confirmed by the Health Professions Act
The CRDHA exists so that Albertans will receive safe, high quality dental hygiene care from a continually advancing dental hygiene profession.